San Francisco Prosthetic Orthotic Service, Inc. has served the Bay Area for more than sixty-five years, providing quality prosthetic and orthotic devices to the community. We have been privileged to work with countless great patients and medical professionals and continue to provide advanced and innovative solutions to help individuals achieve their functional goals.
In 1953, Walter Koniuk, Dale Hale, and William Cicone established Custom Orthopedic Appliances at 340 Divisadero Street. Wayne Koniuk, following in his father’s footsteps, studied to become a certified prosthetist, and in 1984 he opened San Francisco Prosthetic Orthotic Service (SFPOS). For a couple of months, SFPOS was located on Geary Street, however the business was quickly moved next door to Custom Orthopedics on Divisadero. For the next twenty years, Custom Orthopedics and SFPOS operated concurrently, utilizing much of the same equipment. After the final founder of Custom Orthopedics retired, Wayne Koniuk combined the businesses into one “San Francisco Prosthetic and Orthotic Service.”
Michael Plafker began working with the Koniuk family in 1991, and in 2010 purchased SFPOS, maintaining the quality of care and commitment to excellence that the San Francisco community has come to expect.